B Lab, the nonprofit behind the concept of B Corp certification, calls business “the most powerful man-made force on the planet”. Whether or not that’s true, business certainly has the capacity to empower communities or harm them, to preserve the environment or to destroy it, to solve society’s problems, or to create them.
MY SISTER is one of 2000+ companies who are committed to giving consumers what we think they deserve (transparency and accountability), and pledging that we won’t put profit over the welfare of people or the planet by going through the B Corp certification process.
BUSINESS AND THE ENVIRONMENT:
Solely profit-driven, large corporations are behind many ecological traumas (think oil spills, deforestation, and chemical leaks). In fact, the world’s top 3000 corporations are responsible for trillions of dollars worth of environmental damages including regular water overuse and greenhouse gas emissions.
Looking at the impact of companies within the textile and clothing manufacturing industry, specifically, dyes and chemicals harm oceans and rivers with toxic runoff, GMO cotton (90% of all cotton grown!) uses tons of water and pesticides, and unwanted textiles end up in landfills.
BUSINESS AND WORKERS RIGHTS:
In addition to the negative environmental impact that companies can have on the environment, many humans end up as casualties of business motivated by greed. Worker rights are regularly violated as companies seek to increase profits by paying workers who create our products in the developing world as little as possible.
Believe it or not, child labor still exists in 2017 (170 million children are affected by it, many in the garment industry). Some companies do little to ensure that child workers aren’t making your clothes.
BUSINESS DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY:
Enter B Corp. What is a B Corp? “B” stands for “Benefit”, and, simply put, Benefit Corporations are required to meet high standards for environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability. B Corps must contribute to the world in a positive way, and prove it! B Corp certification is for companies that want to use business as a force for good.
Companies that are registered as B Corps are required to complete impact assessments, and regularly re-certify to ensure that no unethical practices slide by.
MY SISTER'S COMMITMENT:
As a Benefit Corporation, we work to make change and positive impact at every level of our business. On an ongoing basis, we do the following to ensure we remain a socially responsible company:
- Raise funds to support our nonprofit partners.
- Provide employment and growth opportunities for survivors of sexual exploitation.
- Utilize services from companies that are minority-owned and/or are socially responsible.
- Print marketing collateral with recycled papers.
- Recycle and compost at our corporate office.
- Invest in job skill training to empower our team members.
- Provide health insurance and paid time off for our team.
- Get involved in the local and online communities to raise awareness and rally support for the fight against exploitation.
- Partner with brands who are providing education, employment, and empowerment for underserved populations.
- Provide products that are ethically-made and exploitation-free.
Questions? Let’s chat! Head over to our Instagram to join the conversation!