Education fuels change, and we’re all about using our free time to inspire our minds and learn more about the trafficking industry to help us push boundaries and move forward. Getting educated is the first step toward understanding how the trafficking industry works, and helps us sort through what is myth vs. fact to guide rational thinking about the issue. One of the easiest (and fastest) ways to learn is by reading or watching relevant, credible books and documentaries. Learn more about sex trafficking, the oppression that girls and women experience in the world, and how we can empower those around us.
Our Co-Founder and CEO, Mandy, put together an in-depth list of documentaries and books that helped inform and inspire her and the roots of MY SISTER. Use this list to learn more about sex trafficking, the oppression that girls and women experience in the world, and how we can empower those around us. We hope that you find facts and inspiration that help fuel the movement!
- “American Crime” - Season 3 (ABC)
- MSNBC’s “Sex Slaves: Fighting Human Trafficking”
DOCUMENTARIES AVAILABLE ON NETFLIX OR HULU (ALL U.S. FOCUSED):
- "Very Young Girls"
- "Hot Girls Wanted"
- "Whore's Glory"
- "Miss Representation"
- "The Mask You Live In"
- "I Am Jane Doe"
- “Half the Sky” (World)
- “Girl Rising” (World)
- “At the End of Slavery” (Philippines and India)
- “Born into Brothels” (India)
- “Call + Response” (Cambodia and India)
- “Chosen” (US)
- “Eden” (US)
- “Not My Life” (World)
- “Rape for Profit” (Seattle)
- “Red Light Green Light” (World)
- “The Price of Sex”
- “Sex + Money: A National Search for Human Worth”
- “The Abolitionists”
- “Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself” by Rachel Lloyd
- “Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide” by Nicholas Kristof , Sheryl WuDunn
- “A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery” by E. Benjamin Skinner
- “ Paid for: My Journey Through Prostitution” by Rachel Moran
- “The Johns: Sex for Sale and the Men Who Buy It” by Victor Malarek
- “Breaking Free: True Stories of Girls Who Escaped Modern Slavery” by Abby Sher
- “Made in the U.S.A.: The Sex Trafficking of America's Children” by Alisa Jordheim
- “Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade—and How We Can Fight It” by David Batstone
- “Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery” by Siddharth Kara
- “The Slave Across the Street: The True Story of How an American Teen Survived the World of Human Trafficking” by Theresa Flores
- “The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today” by Kevin Bales
- “Sold” by Patricia McCormick
- “Somebody’s Daughter: The Hidden Story of America's Prostituted Children and the Battle to Save Them” by Julian Sher
- “Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave” by Sibel Hodge
- “Walking Prey: How America’s Youth Are Vulnerable to Sex Slavery” by Holly Austin Smith
- “The White Umbrella: Walking with Survivors of Sex Trafficking” by Mary Frances Bowley