Happy February! In January, you dug deep into goals and resolutions for the year, but it’s February now and you’re ready to get back to celebrating. We understand and are here to help you celebrate in a socially conscious, holistic, and considerate way.
As Galentine’s Day approaches (and some other day after that), we have 13 easy ways to honor the sisterhood and sister-like relationships in your life:
- Check out the MY SISTER x Proof Public Survivor Letterpress Print Series.
Find a non-profit that supports women and make a donation! In the trafficking realm, we recommend Breaking Free or GEMS.
- Tweet @TaranaBurke, thanking her for starting the #MeToo movement.
Take a moment to recognize that love exists in many forms and support your local LGBTQ community.
- Do your research before purchasing products. Did you know that sweatshops and cheap labor contribute to the cycle of human trafficking? Support your sisters and brothers around the world by purchasing products from companies that pay fair and living wages.
- Looking for gifts for family, friends or loved ones? Support your favorite women and minority-owned small businesses.
Stand up for women in the workplace and tweet your support for #TimesUp. Consider making a donation to their legal fund!
Educate yourself about an issue that you’re unfamiliar with. Considering learning more about trafficking? Start by perusing our blog and reading more on the Polaris website.
- Spend some quality time with the women in your life--family, friends, mentors, teachers--and thank them for the contributions they’ve made to who you are!
- Write a letter to one of your representatives about an issue that matters to you. Any topic will do, just stay politically active and SPEAK OUT this month.
- Read a book about a woman in history who is a downright badass. Marie Curie, Amelia Earhart, Audre Lorde, Angela Davis, Gloria Steinem--there are SO many options!
- Bust out a bottle of wine (or mocktails) and throw a get-together for the women in your life who seriously rock.
- Eat waffles and toast to Leslie Knope, our favorite Galentine’s Day leading lady.
13 ways to celebrate self-love:
- Look in the mirror and say, "you are a glorious and badass unicorn, you can do anything."
- Smash your impostor syndrome voice and remind yourself that you are deserving of your achievements.
- Accept a compliment, no downplaying it!
- Take yourself out on a date and share the cake with no one.
- Say "no" to at least one request today. Prioritize.
- Put your phone away. We mean it, don't even look at Instagram. See the world through your own eyes and not the screen of your phone.
- Drink coffee slowly and with no technology whatsoever in front of you, while pondering the great things you will accomplish in your lifetime.
- Have a rough time? Share with someone you trust. You are not alone and you don't have to solve your problems by yourself.
- Find exercise or any body-moving activity that you enjoy and make it a priority to do it. You are perfect the way you are, but allow time for your body to release happy-making endorphins.
- Get something off your chest. Is there something you've been stewing about that is always at the back of your mind? Resolve the issue or begin the process of releasing yourself from it.
- Check something off your list. There, didn't that make you feel a bit better?
- Get some Vitamin D. Right now, that may mean bundling up in the warmest winter gear, but find a way to enjoy some sunshine.
- Drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep. That's sort of two ways, but we're going with it anyway.
Happy February! Here's to loving ourselves and all the sister-like relationships in our lives.